Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Mills of Lawrence, MA

Today I visited Lawrence. I frequently drive by these amazing mill buildings of the past. As I park my car I stare at this particular mill. The stone work is so beautiful, the curved windows so elegant, the size and breadth take my breath away. And I wonder what it was like to see it built and I wonder about the first people to enter it's doors.

My great-grandparents moved to the Lawrence area from Quebec for the job opportunities in the mills.




The brass plaque on the smokestack says, "High Water Mark, March 1936" The plaque was well above my head, at least 12 to 15 feet high. Can you imagine all you see underwater from a hurricane. Scary......


Amazing

Stonework!

I just had to share these amazing photos with you. Enjoy!

No comments: